Thursday, February 21, 2013

What just happened?



Collier's 1929-07-27  Woman standing while riding a subway, streetcar, or bus, reading When Knighthood Was in Flower, while two men sit behind her, reading the newspaper and ignoring their chivalrous duty to get up and give her their seat. Content: "Old-Fashioned Pete," by Peter B. Kyne.     Artist: Anita Parkhurst  Source: Charles Perrien  Restoration by: Charles Perrien *
Spinsters don't usually curse because it is foul and unladylike. But you know there are moments when it is really hard...like really really hard.

Exhibit A:

There I was on my way to work. A man sits next to me. He seems nice enough. He begins to ask me about my book. Fine. I will tell him about my book. I don't mind talking to strangers.

Then he asks what I do. Fine. I will tell him that I have a job, but I won't give any specifics.

He asks where I am from. Fine. I tell him.

Then I see it. The bare wedding finger. Uh-oh. I just thought this was a friendly man trying to make some light conversation before work.

Then it happens. "Could I take you to dinner sometime?"

Yuck yuck yuck yuck yuck yuck yuck yuck yuck yuck yuck yuck yuck yuck yuck yuck times 100 billion!

In my head I want to say....
"What the bleep, man? You are at least 30 years older than me. What do you want to talk about at dinner- How your grandson is STILL older than me? How many young girls do you actually get to go to dinner with you? What are you thinking?"

Instead I replied. "No, I have a boyfriend," because it is a-okay to lie to older men who don't have a clue.

To that he responded, "Oh, that is really disappointing."

Three things run through my mind.
a. Do I look like I am 50 years old? (great. I have lost my bloom.)
b. I should yell and point at this man and say "Spinsters, BEWARE!" (because yes, I will fight fire for all of you.)
c. why didn't the dapper young professional with the rockin' skinny tie sit by me so that I wouldn't have had to deal with any of this? (sigh)


It's fine but mostly creepy,

Gert

1 comment: